Tuesday, April 13, 2010

360 vs X-Box: Backwards compatibility - ...

I need some advice regarding X-Box games I was planning to play on 360 via it's backward compatibility. The games in question are:

Halo 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza
Knights of the Old Republic 1
Knights of the Old Republic 2

Yeah, I know those games are beyond '****c' and can now probably be categorised as 'Antique'. I just haven't had time to play them and they've been gathering dust along with my big pile of untouched PC games. BTW I have checked the official compatibility list and they are all there.

Anyway, there are two reasons I had planned on playing these games on 360. First is that currently my X-Box is hooked up to small 15'' TV, whereas I've just purchased a new 19'' for my PC complete with dual VGA/DVI inputs (so as I can hook up the 360). The second is that my X-Box has a fault in that as soon as you plug in the power it switches on, and you can't switch it off unless you turn the mains power off. I've read in some places that this problem will get worse and eventually it will stop working. So I thought it would be best if I got myself a 360 because even if my X-Box did pack it in, I'd still be able to play them on 360.

HOWEVER, I have recently read in some places that the quality of the above mentioned games under 360 BC emulation is quite bad, and that it suffers from glitches and lags. Therefore, my question to those people who have played them on both consoles is: how big is the difference between playing them on XBox and 360? Is there significant difference between the two, and are any games better off on the X-Box then the 360? Is it really that bad?

I should point out that I don't mind putting up with some slight issues playing them on 360, but if there is a really big performance drop, that leaves me with a slight dilemma. Namely, should I now try and seek out a used X-Box on E-Bay to replace/repair my current X-Box, so I can play my X-box games.

I could do with some feedback and advice, thanks.
_________________
[Lone] 360 vs X-Box: Backwards compatibility - ...
heres a list of all da XBOX360 compatible XBOX gameshttp://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=bc%26platform=1029%26page_type=games%26tag=subnav;xbox_compat360 vs X-Box: Backwards compatibility - ...
[QUOTE=''guyguyguy1234''] heres a list of all da XBOX360 compatible XBOX gameshttp://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=bc%26platform=1029%26page_type=games%26tag=subnav;xbox_compat[/QUOTE] My original message: BTW I have checked the official compatibility list and they are all there [Lone]
Well you should take note that any game is going to play best on the console it was originally designed for. That being said, there will be some slightly noticable differences performance wise when you play them on the 360.
Yeah, from what I've read most (perhaps all?) BC games played on 360 have some issues.I'd just like to get an idea about how well/bad the games I've mentioned above play on 360. If some of them really are that bad that it's best off playing them on XB, then like I say I need to think about replacing or repairing my current XB. If not, I can just think about getting my Elite.Anyone have any experience of playing any of the above games on both consoles, I'd love to hear your thoughts.[Lone]
I have tried Halo 2 and Chaos Theory on both.Halo 2 seems to work ok without any noticeable slowdown or glitching. Chaos Theory works pretty well also. I didn't see any slowdown whatsoever.You may also want to give Crimson Skies a shot. It's the best air combat game on the Xbox... arguably, on the 360 as well.In any of those cases, if you bought the DLC previously, they'll still be available for you (assuming you're using the same gamertag).
I can confirm that Halo, Halo 2, Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory all work really well on the 360. Only Pandora Tomorrow had any glitches, and they were minor. For example, I killed a guy, picked him up to hide him and somehow he ended up with his head in the ceilding. He was just dangling there, with his head stuck in the ceiling. The funny thing was that his compadres didn't even notice him when they came to patrol the same corridor. They just walked right past the decapitated body dangling from the ceiling. It was very surreal, but in no way hindered my completion of the mission.Can't help with any of the other games you mentioned though since I have not played them on my 360.
Its not really slowdown thats going to mess the BC experience up. Its that every single xbox game is much brighter than it should be. Also looks like they turned of any sort of AA somehow. Playing pandora tomorrow on the xbox was a amazement in 480p. But pandora tomorrow in 1080i OR even 480p on the xbox 360? Ruins the shadows.
[QUOTE=''lw_1183'']and can now probably be categorised as 'Antique'. [/QUOTE]Nah... this is antique ....
[QUOTE=''FamiBox''][QUOTE=''lw_1183''] and can now probably be categorised as 'Antique'. [/QUOTE]Nah... this is antique ....[/QUOTE]The good old days :D
[QUOTE=''VoodooHak''] I have tried Halo 2 and Chaos Theory on both.Halo 2 seems to work ok without any noticeable slowdown or glitching. Chaos Theory works pretty well also. I didn't see any slowdown whatsoever.You may also want to give Crimson Skies a shot. It's the best air combat game on the Xbox... arguably, on the 360 as well.In any of those cases, if you bought the DLC previously, they'll still be available for you (assuming you're using the same gamertag).[/QUOTE]Thanks for that Voodoo, that's two games on my list I can tick as safe :) [Lone]
[QUOTE=''grayoldwolf''] I can confirm that Halo, Halo 2, Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory all work really well on the 360. Only Pandora Tomorrow had any glitches, and they were minor. For example, I killed a guy, picked him up to hide him and somehow he ended up with his head in the ceilding. He was just dangling there, with his head stuck in the ceiling. The funny thing was that his compadres didn't even notice him when they came to patrol the same corridor. They just walked right past the decapitated body dangling from the ceiling. It was very surreal, but in no way hindered my completion of the mission.Can't help with any of the other games you mentioned though since I have not played them on my 360.[/QUOTE]Actually, Pandora Tomorrow is one of the games I'm playing now (lost my original save game so had to start again), hopefully I'll have it completed on XB.Cheers for your feedback :)[Lone]
[QUOTE=''hazuki'']Its not really slowdown thats going to mess the BC experience up. Its that every single xbox game is much brighter than it should be. Also looks like they turned of any sort of AA somehow. Playing pandora tomorrow on the xbox was a amazement in 480p. But pandora tomorrow in 1080i OR even 480p on the xbox 360? Ruins the shadows. [/QUOTE]Right, I guess in that case something like a SC game which relies heavily on lighting will suffer if played on BC emulation. Perhaps I might wanna get SC: PT and CT out of the way and play them on XB.OK, so can anyone provide me any feedback on the other games, namely KOTOR, KOTOR II, PGR2 and Forza? :)[Lone]
I've played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on my 360. It all worked well (or at least not worst than on the original Xbox). Have fun! ;)
[QUOTE=''UmanSoldier'']I've played both KOTOR and KOTOR 2 on my 360. It all worked well (or at least not worst than on the original Xbox). Have fun! ;)[/QUOTE]You're the first person I've read that has no complaints about those two on 360. So I guess there is hope :DSeriously though, no problems, not even problems with the sound/music?[Lone]

No comments:

Post a Comment